Eless recognises and accepts its responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment for all its employees, tenants, contractors and visitors who use its premises in order to prevent injury and ill health, in accordance with the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and its associated regulations.
Eless’s approach to health and safety is based on the key clauses of ISO 45001:2018 whereby emphasis is placed on:-
- Support and Operation
- Leadership and Worker Participation
- Performance Evaluation
Eless recognises the need to focus on continual improvement of its IMS management and performance and sets objectives in line with this.
Eless’s aim is to encourage a positive health and safety culture. To ensure this is achieved occupational health and safety is actively promoted throughout the organisation through the provision of information, training, instruction and supervision.
Eless operates a ‘no blame’ culture whereby employees are openly encouraged to report hazards, including near misses, without fear of reprisal to ensure the root causes of accidents are identified thus enabling measures to be put in place to eliminate recurrence.
Emphasis is placed on effective management ensuring a systematic approach to the identification of risks and the allocation of financial and physical resources to control them. In order to deliver these responsibilities Eless undertakes to:-
- Ensure technical competence is maintained through the provision of mentoring, training and refresher training
- Establishing and enforcing safe methods of work
- Maintain a safe and healthy place of work with safe access and egress;
- Provide adequate welfare facilities;
- Ensure that risk assessments are being carried out on an on-going basis with employees participating in the risk assessment process. Assessments will cover Eless’s undertakings and will assist in the identification of hazards and the setting of prioritised objectives for elimination and reduction of risk to the lowest possible level;
- Provide sufficient information, instruction, training and supervision to enable employees to avoid hazards and to contribute positively to the health and safety of themselves and others whilst at work;
- Consult with employees on issues relating to all workplace Health, Safety and Environmental arrangements to create safe and healthy working conditions for the prevention of work-related injuries and ill health;
- Ensure access to competent health and safety advice;
- Provide plant, equipment and systems of work which are safe and without risks to health;
- Ensure safe arrangements for the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances;
- Ensure compliance with all relevant safety legislation, regulations, codes of practice and other requirements associated with UK operations;
- Arrange for the effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of preventative and protective measures; and
- Commit to reporting H&S performance within its annual report.
The Managing Director takes overall responsibility for Health and Safety including the formulation, development and implementation of the Health & Safety policy within Eless. Eless are supported by a Director in charge of H&S.
Eless require the co-operation and support of all managers, employees, tenants, contractors and visitors in its implementation.
The Managing Director will ensure that the Policy is reviewed periodically, at least every year, to ensure that it remains relevant and appropriate to the organisation.
This Policy will be communicated to all persons working under the control of the organisation and will be made available to interested parties on request.